Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Tidbits

Tonight as we were returning from dropping Scottie off at Scouts, Mason and I were talking. I went to give him a kiss as we were getting out of the van. I teased him as if I were going to kiss him on the lips, but got his cheek in the end. He said, "Mom, I'm glad you didn't get my lips." I laughed. He went on to tell me about our neighbor who watched him one day. He told me that the mom had kissed her oldest son on the lips when he was going to school. He then asked, "Mom that's 'dating', huh?!" It took me a minute until I realized that to him dating is synonymous with kissing on the lips! I got a good laugh out of that one! I guess I'll need to resolve that confusion by the time he reaches age 16!

As long as I'm on the subject of cute word "slip-ups", I had a funny one at school the other day. I have a little girl in my class who's family moved here when she was a baby from Mexico. Even so she had never spoken English until she started Kindergarten. So, even now she has difficulties with the language at times, although she does VERY well! She was telling my about a sore in her mouth. She proceeded to describe it and tell me it was on her tail. It took me a minute to realize that she was talking about her tongue, not tail! :-)

I was listening to some students in Scottie's class talk the other day (We combine 1st and 2nd grades for some subjects). They were talking about a fellow student their class. The one girl said to a boy (who was blessed with a nice tan complexion), "My sister says that you're black." He laughed. She continued, "I told her you're not black. Ryan's black. You're not!" (Ryan is Vietnamese, mind you!!) This was inspiration for a Martin Luther King Jr. lesson that day! I did laugh though! They do live in a very small town in Utah and are very sheltered!!

One more from a few years ago. I was drilling the class on the four seasons. One very excited student raised his hand and said, "Oh, I know! Cinnamon!" Obviously, I work wonders in that classroom - seasons / seasonings -- does it really matter anyway?!! :-)

In other news: Dave just returned from his first night in a racquetball tournament. I guess he did pretty well. He was disappointed to have lost his game in the Open competition (highest level of competition in my understanding of it all). He felt good about how things went, but was disappointed to not have gone farther. He did, however, win his game as an A player (next level down). Yeah! So that means more play tomorrow. We'll see how it goes! He sure loves it. Tomorrow night I'll take the kids to go watch. Wish me luck with the youngest Shanks child. She should be lots of fun to chase through the gym!!

Until next time...

7 comments:

Sandra said...

Kids do say the darndest things, don't they?! Thanks for sharing!

Steve and Kim said...

Glad Dave is doing so well. Wish I had a sport I loved - exercizing is tedious!

Mom G said...

Loved the comments! You must have to bite your lips sometimes at the cute things kids say. They get so embarrassed if we laugh. Have a good day today! Tell Dave good luck.

Paige said...

Dan gives Natalia little pecks on the lips--so weird to me! I'm too much of a germ-a-phobe for that. I guess that's how he grew up. Go Dave! That's awesome!

Mark and Kellie said...

GO DAVE!! Wish I had your talent.

As for the kissing issue, we don't do the lip kissing in our family. Seems a bit strange to me, but I know that many families do that. Heck, I can barely get Kellie to kiss me after 14 1/2 years of marriage!! :-) (Perhaps I should go back to brushing my teeth and showering and everything.)

The Gibsons said...

Hey Jill, tell Dave congrats on the tournament. As for the kissing, you'll need to remember the following when Scottie turns 16. There is a scriptural precedent for kissing on the first date;

When Jacob (later called Israel) left his home in order to escape the wrath of his brother, he went to live with uncle Laban. When he saw Laban’s daughter (his first cousin) Rachel for the first time around midday, he went up and kissed her. Rachel then went and told her father Laban who then came out and kissed Jacob. So, according to the Old Testament precedent, it’s OK to kiss on the first date as long as following rules are followed.

1 – The kiss must be during the middle of the day.
2 – After kissing the girl, the guy must then kiss the Father of the girl.
3 – The guy must be of marrying age (Jacob was probably in his thirties at the time).
4 - The guy then must work 7 years for the Father before the second date.

Anyway, this should scare Scottie off from dating for awhile! Hope all is well.

LJ said...

Chris, that was hilarious!! :) I enjoyed reading these little tidbits, Jill. That Mason is so clever and smart. Tell Dave good job on his tournament. I admire his dedication and willpower! :)