Tonight while Mason was saying his prayer, he said, "...And bless that Jesus won't die, because he's so nice!" Well after the prayer was over, Scottie told Mason that he already did die! Mason checked with me to see if Scottie was telling the truth and I told him it was true. But, that He had resurrected and now would never die again. Mason was so relieved and happy. It was fun to see the affect this had on his 3 year old mind. Even though he's heard us talk about it before, tonight it actually meant something to him. Sometimes it's nice to watch those "Wow!" moments and realize that it really is an amazing miracle!
I realize I take a lot of things in the Gospel for granted. I have a little girl in my primary class of 9/10 year olds who recently moved here from New York after her family was baptized into the church. They are such a cute family and I forget how exciting the gospel is. Today we were talking about Lehi and his family's departure into the wilderness. She was not familiar with the story and it was so fun watching her "soak" it all up! Her face actually lit up! She answered some questions and got Lehi and Nephi mixed up a bit, but I was amazed at how many details she remembered. Another boy, Mason Myatt, took notes through the lesson and gathered up all the papers I used in teaching, so that he could go home and teach Family Home Evening tomorrow night. Wow, so much different than I had expected!! So, although I was sad to leave the CTR 5s, who had such an excitement for learning the stories each week, I have been pleasantly surprised to have that same excitement in this older class.
Well, one more thought for this Sunday night. Tanna is watching "Baby Signing Time?" as I type this. It's an incredible program that teaches sign language creatively through music. It turns out it was all started to fill a need. It's founder Rachel de Azevedo Coleman (daughter of Lex de Azevedo)began learning sign language when she discovered her daughter was profoundly deaf at 14 months of age. Her next daughter was born prematurely with spina bifida and cerebral palsy. Rachel ended up taking her incredible music talent, along with her sister Emilie, to develop a TV show and numerous DVDs to teach the world sign language. She hoped not only to help other families in her situation, but to break the language barrier for her own daughters with other children. So often we don't understand why we are given certain trials in our lives. I'm sure many tears were shed by Rachel and her family, but she took a trial and ended up using her talents to make a huge difference for so many others. I'm sure she never would have dreamed the direction her life has taken. It's kind of like the analogy of being clay in the Potter's hands. We don't always see the big picture, but thankfully our Father in Heaven has the end in mind and helps mold and shape us into the person He knows we can become.
So, all in all, it was a good day. It's nice to have Sundays to renew and reflect. I'm off to start another adventure of a week. Hopefully, I'll keep this perspective and remember what's important in all the hubbub of daily life!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Great insights! It is wonderful to hear how my grandchildren are learning and accepting the gospel. These moments are precious and sacred. Thanks for sharing them. Children are so unpredictable. We never know when they are "getting it". But they do and things touch their hearts just like they do ours.
Hope you got the Christmas tree down! We don't want to see it there in June! Love you!
Wow, I've seen that show once but didn't know the story behind it. Natalia wasn't quite into it and yelled, "NO!" at me when I tried to get her to do a sign. Oh well...
What cute nephews and niece I have! Keep bringing them up right! You're doing a great job.
That kid taking notes in your class sounds a lot like me when I was that age!
Actually, we were just making tally marks as to how many teachers we could go through in a year.
OH, that is the sweetest prayer I have ever heard! Sweet little Mason has such a tender heart. I enjoyed reading your insights and they really uplifted me and made me realize that the gospel SHOULD be exciting and we should realize how blessed we are to have it. I love that the little 9 year old boy took notes! Amazing! His mom must be so proud. It was sad to read about the woman's daughter who was deaf and her other daughter who had diseases, but amazing how she pulled through it and inspired others. Thanks for sharing!
Post a Comment