Friday, February 1, 2008

TGIF!

Today we had a Professional Development Day for the teachers and the kids got to stay home. It's nice to have a day to focus on teaching practices, etc., but it is hard for a group of teachers to sit still for that long. I laugh at what lousy students teachers can be. I guess there's a reason we went into teaching--to keep ourselves up and running! It was a good day and the presentation another teacher and I were in charge of (on Differentiation in Mathematics) went well. It was pretty much prepared by our district math coaches, but it still took some prep. It went well though and lasted most of the morning. It's nice to have it done.

We had hoped to go to the viewing tonight for President Hinckley, but when I got home and realized that Mason and Tanna hadn't had naps and that Dave wasn't feeling very well, we decided against it. I just couldn't imagine keeping the kids reverent for two (or more) hours while they waited in line. I'm sad we'll miss that experience, but we will watch the funeral tomorrow. I'm glad so many people are able to take advantage of the opportunity.

Well, I have parent/teacher conferences this next week, so I will be VERY busy until next weekend. I probably won't be checking in too much, but we'll see! Happy February to all!!! (I hope the Groundhog doesn't see his shadow. I'm ready for Spring!!)

5 comments:

Steve and Kim said...

Hope Dave is feeling better. I remember our teacher meetings, we would never let our students behave that way! See you soon!

Mom G said...

Well, the students here got a day off too - but because of snow! We had almost a foot. Dad went in but later. It took a while before the streets were cleared.
Sounds like you did a good job on your presentation. Are you my daughter - teaching math to teachers???
Hope that Dave is doing better. February can also be a long month - and this is leap year so it is even longer! The groundhog did see his shadow and so winter will go all the way into March. Oh well, our snow is beautiful and there are tracks of some big animal out there - maybe our grandfather racoon.
Good luck on your prep for conferences. Sounds like a very busy week for you (and Dave).

Mom G said...

Hi Sweetie,
I would love to see you in action teaching other teachers. I have already seen your amazing talents on display with children. Keep up the good work. By the way, what is the difference between differentiation and differential when it comes to math?

Love,
Dad

LJ said...

Sounds like a BUSY week for you! Best wishes with all you're doing and getting ready to be alone while Dave goes on his trip. You're awesome and I'm so glad to learn from your upbeat, positive, and responsible example. Good LUCK!

LJ said...

PS: Don't be too hard on the parents who DON'T do homework with their kids (like me!) when their lives are too crazy! :) Tell them their child is brilliant and perfect!