Tuesday, October 23, 2007

The Silver Lining

You know, I think the Lord knows what He is doing. No, this is not my first realization of this, but tonight it was reconfirmed. We had just ended another difficult night of getting the boys to bed. I was done with kids, as I usually am at this point, and was grumbling a bit to myself about how bedtime is not my favorite time of the day. I went off to put clothes away when I quietly entered the boys' room. Scottie surprised me when he said, "Mom, I'm so sad I never got to meet your Grandma Gibson. I never even got to get to know her. I bet she's sad she never got to know me either." My heart was immediately melted and I told him I was sad that he never got to meet her either. But, I did explain that I'm sure they spent time together before he was born and that he just couldn't remember it. He replied, "I'm still sad I never got to know her here. I bet I would have liked her." We continued talking about other grandparents he never got to meet, as well as the little time I had to spend with my Great-grandparents. I finally left him to go back to sleep as he said, "Mom, I just have so many questions."

And so, the Lord knows how to keep us falling in love with these little ones. For all those tough moments, even just one silver lining seems to make it all worth it!

4 comments:

Mom G said...

This is such a sweet sentiment and it made me tear up! That Scottie is really something and so are you. I am so glad you are his mother. He is a strong spirit and you are doing a wonderful job with him and the others. He is thinking deeply! I wonder what goes on in his mind at other times. Please give them ALL a hug and thank you for writing this!

Steve and Kim said...

Oh, that was so sweet! Sometimes those kids do things that makes us hard to be mad at them! Last night Emily said, "I love you mome. I love it when you be silly with me!" Makes you realize they don't need a lot - just a lot of attention!

LJ said...

That is adorable and made me tear up too! Scottie is an incredibly bright little boy. He does have a big heart too- I can tell that every time I spend time with him. He is so lucky to have you as his mommy. He actually reminds me a lot of you. You have absolutely adorable kids and someday you will miss these days. I am so glad that God gives us these moments to make it all worth it because otherwise we as mothers would all go insane! Thanks for sharing.

Love your blog so far! So fun to see more of the Shanks fam...

Sandra said...

It is truly amazing how much our children teach us. Thanks for sharing.