Sunday, October 28, 2007

Out of the Mouths of Babes...

Last night Mason was singing in bed to me before being officially tucked in for the night. He was bragging about a new song he knew and started singing "Yankee Doodle." The words were not all there, but the ending was what made the whole song for me...."Stuck a feather in his hat and called it 'Mac and Cheese!'"

Scottie and I laughed so hard! It'll never be the same for either of us again!

3 comments:

Mom G said...

Such a fun little guy! I can just hear him with his high pitched voice belting out his version of Yankee Doodle!
I have probably told you this a million times, but I will write it so it will be read by the millions who read The Shanks Family Blog.
When I was little, there was a song we sang in Primary that I always wondered about. It said, "A pup in the sky, where the little birds fly, Down down in the nest, where the little birds rest ...". I didn't find out until much later that it was "Up, up in the sky"!
So you can see that when children hear something, they interpret it with the experiences they have had and it sometimes turns out to be quite different!

Paige said...

I've never met a little boy who loved songs more than him! What a cutie.

LJ said...

He! He! Mason is just too dang cute for words. I wish I could have heard that song. His little voice is so high and funny! The other night at the Halloween party, he was in the bathroom and I walked by and he said something to me that I didn't understand. I just smiled and said, "Yeah, that's cool!" He gave me a weird look and said it three more times until finally I figured out he was saying, "Can you unzip it?" Meaning, his Barney costume needed to be unzipped so he could hurry and go potty! :) I said, "Oh!" and hurried and unzipped it and he just looked so relieved to run to the potty just in time...