You know, they say that a picture is worth a thousand words, but I beg to differ. Today after school we had another family picture taken. Unfortunately it's been 2 years since the last one and we had Tanna since then. So, as I peeked at the preview they had on their computer, I had to laugh -- a picture doesn't even begin to tell the whole story. The picture showed a happy family of five. Everyone looked content and happy to be there. That is great--that's what we want it to say. But....
What the picture doesn't show is the hour or so leading up to that moment. It doesn't show me looking at the clock during an after school meeting wondering how I would get out on time. (I didn't and I ended up having to leave in the middle. Luckily I had asked permission that morning.) It doesn't show me picking Scottie up half way through his good friend Tyree's birthday party, because our appointment was the only one I could get and made way before the birthday plan. It doesn't show me calling Dave and reminding him gently that he and Mason and Tanna were supposed to be dressed already! It doesn't show me racing in the house to throw on a new outfit, fix my hair and make-up. It doesn't show Mason being dressed and ready to go - to my delight. And it doesn't show Dave trying to button up Tanna's dress, but realizing he would need back-up! It also doesn't show how quickly Scottie and Dave got ready and into the car with such willing attitudes (Thank you!!). It doesn't show how patient my family was with their stressed out Mom. It doesn't tell what a blessing this patience was to me this day. It also doesn't show how cooperative Scottie and Mason were and how quickly Tanna settled down after her pre-2 year old tantrum! Most of all it doesn't show how relieved I was to see that flash and know we had made it through another family picture.
So, years from now that picture may be passed down, but it will be without the knowledge of all the little events that led up to it. No one will know what a big deal this Mom had made of it and how well her family put up with her lack of patience!! What they will see is a happy family of five -- what more could I ask for?!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
How right you are! Even now, decades later, I can remember details and circumstances around the pictures that we have had taken. It is a big effort to do it but it saves the memories (both good and bad) for the future. I can remember who was crabby and didn't want to cooperate. I can remember choosing the clothing so that it would be coordinated. Of course, as the family gets bigger, it gets even more complicated (our family reunion pictures - especially the one done at the photo studio!). But it is all worth it if only to present a good front to others who didn't have to go through the trauma! Grandparents love the pictures so keep going through it all for us!
Enjoy your writing!
It's sure good to know other moms have stressful days like I do... :) You do know that your kids are SO CUTE, right? I bet the picture turned out adorable. Dave was a good sport through it all- husbands usually have to be at family picture time... :) Funny post!
I totally relate!! We're having a photographer come to the house over Thanksgiving since my entire family will be here (26 people in my house for a week! I think Victor is going to lose his mind!), so I'm sure we'll have some similar experiences! Can't wait to see it!
Post a Comment