Sunday, December 30, 2007

Christmas Survival!

You would think that with some time off from teaching that I would get on the computer a little more often. Unfortunately, I've had so much catching up to do that I haven't given myself the luxury of sitting down at the computer. This is a reward for me, so you can tell how behind I am based on how frequently I get new posts on here. Also, it takes a couple of hours just to catch up on my family members' blogs, so by the time I'm done, I'm tired or time is up. So with that fantastic introduction, on to the Christmas summary letter!

We had a GREAT Christmas. As much as we missed being with Dave's family in Tucson this year, we really enjoyed being HOME for Christmas. It really is nice and helps in establishing family traditions.

The days leading up to Christmas were a whirlwind. School was crazy and was filled with rehearsals for our Christmas concert. We have a traditional concert at the University Mall every year that ends with the kids (most of them) going home for the holiday break with their families. (About 5 or so end up coming back with the teachers on the bus.) I have been the lucky one to get to teach, choreograph and direct the program for the K - 2nd graders.) I think it was more out of desperation than inspiration! Anyway, it's always fun, but a stress to get it all put together. We end up performing it for two nursing homes and then finish with the performance for our parents. Each year I panic as they sort of "get through" the first 2 performances (granted most of our audience members our hard of hearing, can't really see us, or are asleep, but I still wish the kids would do better!) But they always shine for their parents. Even if they make mistakes here and there, their parents think they are cute and that' s all that matters. (That's the pep talk I've resorted to giving myself and have trained my fellow co-workers to give me.) Anyway, it did go well and was a nice opener for Christmas break.

The next two days (Fri. and Sat.) were filled with RUNNING and HURRYING to get everything (or at least a lot of things) done. I had a lot done, but there are always so many last minute or forgotten things, that I was not lacking for things to do.

We were able to go to the Tanner Family Christmas Party in Payson on Saturday afternoon. Mom (and Dad, maybe) had put a lot of work in to get it all organized and pulled together and it turned out well. It was fun to see everyone again and see the newest babies. The family sure has grown. It was nice to spend some time with my grandparents too!

Luckily, Sunday was thrown in there, after two hectic days, to make me stop and remember the true reason for Christmas. It was nice to have a day to reflect on our Savior's birth and somewhat slow things down for a bit.

I was back at the stores Monday (Christmas Eve) and believe it or not, I was not the only one there. In fact I had to hitchhike to the door at WalMart from my parking spot. (Okay, maybe not, but I'm sure I worked off maybe one Christmas cookie on that journey!) But, I did get everything I needed and went home to get ready to go to Lynn's.

We spent Christmas Eve with my mom and dad and the 4 girls and families. Lynn had her home all decked out and we had a nice dinner. We enjoyed spending some time together and then headed back in the snowstorm outside to finish the evening at our own homes. We watched the Living Scriptures " A King is Born" and the Luke 2 video. We then hung our stockings, got the cookies, milk and carrots ready, and finally got the kids to bed. They did get to open their Christmas pajama gifts from Grandma Gibson first and were thrilled to find matching PJs for their "Build-a-Bears" and one for Tanna's new doll. I was amazed that Scottie settled for the PJ gift that night. He had been begging for days to get to choose the gift he got to open on Christmas Eve. Miraculously, he never mentioned it again after that!!

Christmas morning the boys were in at about 6:45 am to get us up. Dave was already up and showering and I was the one that had to be dragged out of bed. What a role reversal this year. I guess I had one too many late night's collaborating with Santa on this year's Christmas gifts. So, we had to wait for Dad to get out of the shower and get dressed. This was torturous for Scottie and Mason. My stories of sitting on the living room couch waiting for Mark to get back from his paper route didn't even seem to phase them. But finally, we headed downstairs -- one of us smelling much better than the rest of us!!

The boys had a great time opening their gifts. We opened them Gibson-style with Dad passing out the gifts and opening them one at time. Scottie may be the oldest, but he still has the hardest time waiting for his next turn! He was thrilled to get a DS handheld game system and Alvin and the Chipmunks game. He was so sure Santa would come through even though his Mom and Dad had said no. Thank goodness for Santa and his soft heart!! He was so happy!

Mason was a little disappointed not to get his request from Santa. He had repeatedly asked for a Princess Presto (from the PBS show Super Why) magic wand that could turn him into anything! Apparently Santa had no idea what to do with this request, so he got him a cash register instead. Hey, that's close enough, don't you think?! Besides, you don't create future CostCo employees (we love CostCo!) with a magic wand!! Oh, Santa also threw in 3 new games for our V-Smile system. (The game system teachers get for their kids -- education in disguise!!) He seemed happy enough, although slightly disappointed in Santa's omission!

Tanna got a "Learn Through Music" system. It's a console that you put cartridges in and can listen to songs, while interacting by pushing on the screen. (Wow, it's amazing that they haven't called me to do promotional campaigns for them!!!) Anyway, Google it if you have any desire to see what I'm trying to describe. Anyway, it is supposed to keep her entertained for at least 5 minutes. That was Santa's gift to us!!!

All in all the kids were very blessed by Santa, Mom and Dad, grandparents and other family members! Thanks to all who made that possible. We were even able to take a break half way through and let the kids play with their gifts, before coming back for more. Even then, we ended up finishing that afternoon when G & G Gibson came over. They had a great day and made it a memorable day for all of us!

Since then, I have enjoyed the relief of having gotten it all done! I have caught up (for a minute) on laundry, and am trying to get the house put back together. It's amazing all that I have put off for "when I have more time." I won't be caught up by Thursday, when we go back to school, but I will feel a lot better about things!

We now look forward to spending a bit of our New Year's Evening with my family at Kim's. We will head home early to allow my parents to get to bed in preparation for their trip home Tuesday. :-( We sure have enjoyed having them here. They are always so busy, but they were able to take the time to come to church with our family today and have lunch with us. It's nice to get the one-on-one time with them. We wish we could do it more often!!

Well, I'll close and wish you all a very Happy New Year!!

Love,

Jill and family

7 comments:

Mom G said...

Great descriptions of a wonderful Christmas! We enjoyed getting to watch the kids open some presents. I loved the shopping cart one for Mason! "It's just what I've always wanted!!!!" He is so cute with his expressions of thanks. Also enjoyed your ward and the nice dinner yesterday. See you tonight for New Year's Eve!

Steve and Kim said...

Sounds like a great Christmas! Scottie was still as thrilled as ever about his DS system when I saw him today! Their reactions make it all worthwhile!

Mark and Kellie said...

Regarding the paper route delay on Christmas -- Try being the one out there in sub-zero temperatures lugging 50 or more huge Chicago Tribunes around being chased by dogs while trying to navigate my bike up and down numerous curbs. And all this after having endured screaming tantrums the previous night during the Nativity play.
:-)

Mytbroker said...

Great letter Jill. You don't give yourself enough credit for your excellent writing ability. I'm glad you had a great Christmas. Tell Dave I'm ready for him in racquetball. Keep in mind, when I say I'm ready for him, I mean he can spot me just 10 points instead of the normal 11 or 12.

Chris

LJ said...

Loved the letter! So fun to hear about your family's Christmas and the kids' gifts. You are so blessed to have such adorable kids and a loving husband. The new pics on your blog are beautiful! I especially think that little niece of mine is such the cutie! I also don't think you give yourself enough credit for all you do. I don't know how you balance it all, but you pulled through and gave your family a wonderful Christmas! Now on to the new year- hectic, but exciting as always, right? I just keep telling myself, "Someday I'll miss these days..."

PS: I'm jealous that you're caught up on laundry!! Mine is still a mountain of a mess...

Jana said...

Jill! You have no idea how long I have been trying to get in touch with you. By some miracle, my parents got an email from your parents with links to all of your family's blogs, and so here you are! I finally found you! When you get a chance, will you email me your phone number so I can call you? janaacton@gmail.com

Talk to you soon!
Jana

Jana said...

P.S. Tell your family hi for me...especially your sisters!

Jana