Well, after a bit of a break...we're back!
We are back from our trip to Arizona visiting Dave's family. We had a nice long trip and enjoyed visiting with the family there. Unfortunately, we arrived Friday morning and started with Mason getting the stomach flu that evening. Then one by one, everyone in the household got it, including Grandma, Grandpa and Uncle Dan. I thought I was off the hook this time, but I ended up getting it last on Thanksgiving night. So, our trip was not quiet as action packed as we would have liked, but we still enjoyed our time there.
One of the first events was a wedding. Dave's brother (Bobby) got married on Friday evening and had a reception on Saturday night. I missed Friday's events due to sickness and tending the kids and cousins, but we were able to celebrate on Saturday. It was a nice dinner and we were glad to be a part of the celebration.
Early Saturday morning was the start of Dave's big event -- the Tour de Tucson. The reason we had left early (missing 4 days of school in all), was to get Dave there in time for his 109 mile ride (cycling). Dave ended up making it the whole way in under 9 hours. He did great and was excited to qualify for a silver medal. (Meaning you finished the ride in under 9 hrs.) He said it was a great experience and he would like to make it a tradition. His sister, Maria, got a road bike while we were there, so she may join him on the ride next year. He's excited about that--it's more fun to ride with someone you know! Anyway, it was a big success and I got to learn how to drive around downtown Tucson and see a lot of the area. (Dave's dad, Dan, the kids, and I went to meet Dave at one of his rest stops. That was an adventure--they aren't very car friendly! :-) )
The rest of the time we just nursed whoever was sick that particular day and walked or drove to local parks to get the kids out in the gorgeous weather!
Thanksgiving was a great day with no sicknesses (Gene was finally on the mend and I wouldn't get sick until the middle of the night!). All of the family gathered at 2:30 pm for an outside Thanksgiving dinner. What a treat! It was hot enough that the butter even melted! It was a perfect day and so nice to enjoy the eating and visiting outside. We played some games (UNO) that night and just enjoyed catching up on everyone's news.
Friday we ended up staying so that Dave could go on a ride with Maria for her first outing on her new bike. The boys also got to go to the zoo with Grandma, Aunt Julie, Aunt Dina, and cousins Bailey and Haiden. (I'm pretty sure I spelled her name wrong! Sorry!!) They had a great time and let me stay home to get feeling better. Apparently Mason was very interested in the map. He would make sure he knew where they were on the map at each stop and look to see where they would be headed next! (He definitely didn't get that from me -- Dave can tell you I'm not the best at reading maps!!)
Saturday morning we got up and out the door by 9:45 am -- a record for this family. We're not very good at leaving early!! I'll tell you it's a lot harder driving during the daytime. I do enjoy having the kids sleep through most of the trip, although it's tougher on the driver (Dave). Anyway we survived the 14 or so hour drive. Mason and Scottie were great and watched movie after movie. Tanna, on the other hand, was a handful. She did not enjoy sitting that long in her carseat. She and I couldn't wait to get home by the evening. We learned on the way down that Benedril (sp?) does NOT make her drousy -- aughh!! Anyway, we were happy to get home. (Well, the boys weren't -- they constantly say how much they miss Grandma and Grandpa and "Danny". Too bad they live so far away!!)
Sunday we woke up late and had a message on my phone that Chris and Krissy, etc. would be in town for another couple of hours. We hurried and got back in the car and headed down to Lynn's. We enjoyed getting at least a little time with them. They are a great family with 5 great kids! I wish we could be closer to them too, but it does make us appreciate them all the more!!
Well, that was a lot more than I really had time to write. I do have a lot to do around the house to catch-up, but at least that gives a good synopsis! School is going well and the kids were glad to see Scottie and me again. The kids are pretty wild and probably won't get much better until January. I can't believe Christmas is right around the corner!! We have a lot to do to get ready for our Christmas concert. Wish me/us luck!!
Well, I'm off to bed. (Heck, that laundry didn't need folding anyway!!!)
Have a great end of November!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Laundry can always wait (to be folded, at least)! Sounds like you all had a great trip except for the sicknesses. Glad you made it back safely. Bet Tanna was so glad to get her little feet on the ground again!
Congratulations to Dave on his silver medal! That is a real accomplishment that I could never do.
Yea Dave!! Tell him congrats--that's a great accomplishment. I'm glad you had a fun trip. We missed you here too. Let me know about your Christmas concert and Natalia and I will run over to the mall and watch!
Congrats Dave! I'd love to go on a bike ride like that. By the way, I'm ready to take you on in racqetball (as long as you play left handed!)
Chris
Wow!! I'm impressed, Dave. I tried riding my bike this summer for about 4 miles up and down hills and I think I saw my life flash before my eyes.
Thanks for the update, Jill!
Post a Comment