Well, it's been a busy, but great weekend. Friday, Dave got a call from his cousin, Christa Gaines. He hadn't seen her in over 10 years and it was a nice surprise to hear from her. She was in town with a regional barbershop singing quartet and chorus competition. It was an organization through Sweet Adelines the women's barbershop organization. Anyway, it was a whole new experience for me, but it was amazing. There was a lot of talent and enthusiasm there (Abravenal Hall). Christa's chorus were the 2007 champions, so they didn't compete this year, but did perform for evaluation. (They accumulate points and it all factors into their competition years. They will head to Hawaii in November for the International Competition. I was very impressed by their sound -- the harmony was incredible -- and then they put on a good show with choreography, etc. So, all in all it was a good experience.
After the show we got to have dinner with her and some other friends from the chorus. It was nice to meet her and Dave was able to catch up a bit. We then headed to a party that evening, but didn't stay long. It does look like they know how to have a good time! There were women in their late 70s (?) that could really dance! It was a fun afternoon/evening and fun to see something we knew nothing about!
Kim and Steve were kind enough to put up with our 3 musketeers while we were gone for SO long! THANK YOU!! Of course, the kids didn't want to leave when we got there. They love it over there. Scottie got to help plant their garden and he was so proud of himself. He said he needed to go check on it next time we get over there. Kim called him tonight to thank him for his help and I think that really meant a lot to him. He felt very important! I guess Mason and Tanna were fairly well behaved because Kim and Steve weren't in their PJs this time dying of sheer exhaustion. They seemed like they had survived it all and might even answer our phone calls this week! :-) J/K
Today, Christa and her friend Jennifer came over to meet the kids before they headed back to Colorado (Broomsfield). We had another nice visit and the kids did all the showing off that they could -- good and bad!! We had lunch together and then saw them off before we headed to church. The kids really enjoyed them and I'm glad they got to know Christa. She is so sweet and was good to give up so much of her time to come and see us!
Mason made a paper flower lei and a paper flower bouquet in Primary. He was excited about his gifts and then gave me the one from preschool. See the picture to see how adorable it is. His picture is priceless. You can't look at it without smiling! A perfect gift. He then copied his brother and ran off to make more pictures and can even write "MOM" without help. That was a nice gift too!
Tanna slept from the time we got home to about bedtime, so she's up for a while now! She made a cute handprint with a poem in nursery. So, she was included in the gift giving, even if she was asleep. It was cute and will be fun to look back on!
All in all, it was a great day! Dave took me out for dinner the night before and helped A LOT around the house to get it cleaned up a bit. That was the best present of all! And I got to go to a singing concert -- my "cup of tea" and he was totally supportive! -- all wonderful gifts! He's got a long "Honey-do" list, so his Mother's Day presents will take a while to complete!
I had a good week at school. It was Teacher Appreciation week and the PTA and students were so great! They brought or did something each day! We got treats, lunch, plants, and red carpet event. On Friday we had to all wear our pajamas and they gathered the students first thing in the morning around our flag pole. They then escorted us around the block -- part of it--to the adoring fans and red carpet (rolled out butcher paper). The students had cameras and were coached in cheering wildly. We each had to walk down the red carpet, with style, of course, after they announced where we had gotten our "designer" PJs. It was very cute. They then gave us awards and a tote of school supplies. The kids told things they liked about each teacher. All in all it was a very nice way to start the day and we did feel appreciated! They ended the day by taking our students to watch a movie and let us work alone without students in our rooms. It was a nice way to end the week!
This week we'll be going to Hogle Zoo on Friday, so the kids will be excited. It should be a fun trip and hopefully the weather will cooperate. I'm sad that this is the last field trip I'll be able to go on with Scottie. Next year he'll be in 3rd grade and the upper grades go on their own. I'll miss seeing him in action. It has been fun.
Well, we're doing well and just had a visit from our former neighbors, the Skellys. They gave us their dog and we're anxious to see her again. Bella was so excited to see them and they were pleased to see that she still loves them. She has been a good addition to our family and she is very loved by Dave, especially, as well as the kids. Hey, she's grown on me too and that says A LOT!
That's all for this week. I'll have another busy week, so I won't be able to get into too much trouble! Ho hum! So...
...Happy Mother's Day to all and to all a Good Night!!
7 comments:
Same to you!
Glad you got to go to a concert and dinner and have a fun day with Dave for Mother's Day. Dad said Dave was a very good sport to take you to something like that. Of course, he would go if one of you or a grandchild were performing but a cousin? Actually, he would do anything for me on Mother's Day!
Thanks for the sweet expressions of love last night. I love you so much and want you to know that I think you are a terrific mom (and daughter)!
I'm glad you got pampered this week! You definitely deserve it. I got teary-eyed reading about you getting teary-eyed from Scottie's card! What a thoughtful guy he is. I loved reading about the red carpet event too. How cute!
Glad you had a fun Mother's Day. Glad the flower made it out of the truck! I asked Mason on Saturday where it was and he wasn't too sure!
What a wonderful Mother's Day for you! It was so fun to read what you have been up to. I'm glad you were able to go to the concert and get away without kids for awhile. It was so sweet to read about the kids' gifts and cards. They are all tender hearted and thoughtful- just like you! That was awesome that Dave helped with the cleaning- truly the best present I could imagine too! Anyway, you deserved a special day after all you do as a mommy. Good job!
You are so good to keep up with this wonderful blog! I would probably have a hard time keeping it up to date myself. It was so fun to read about your week and to see a picture of me and Dave. It was so wonderful seeing Dave and meeting the whole family. What a great weekend. I'm glad you also had some special mom time after church.
You are so good to keep up with this wonderful blog! I would probably have a hard time keeping it up to date myself. It was so fun to read about your week and to see a picture of me and Dave. It was so wonderful seeing Dave and meeting the whole family. What a great weekend. I'm glad you also had some special mom time after church.
Post a Comment